Tuesday 3 May 2011

Statement of Intent

Statement of intent

Rationale
What do you want to do and why? An overarching statement of the direction of your own design practice, areas of interest and what this will allow you to explore... And why?

I want to produce screen prints as this is a particular area of interest for me that I used to really enjoy but haven't done for a while. In the first year I did an elective on screen printing and I would now like to further my skills.
Packaging is also something I enjoyed a lot and would therefore like to explore this further too. I want to combine the two, screen prints and packaging.
Working with screen print will allow me to experiment more with image as recently I have been working a lot more with type based work. I will eventually combine image with type but I think I will have more fun playing about with image.


Statement of intent
What do you tend to do in order to fulfil your rationale, creative intentions and individual ambitions?

Product- I will produce a range of different screen prints on different materials and stock.
These will then be transferred onto a range of different packaging in some way.

Range- A range of different styles of packaging

Distribution- I will produce an iPhone app and a website to transfer to screen based.


I will produce a range of different packaging for Hugo fragrances. The design will come from screen prints and stencil designs.

Research
In responding to this brief what areas of research will you undertake? What activities will this involve? What material will this research generate?

Primary resources/material
Research promotion in shops on fragrances. Magazine promotion.

Secondary sources/material
I will look at books on stencil art in Berlin and around Germany. I will research into Berlin using the internet and books. Look on websites for the promotion of Hugo fragrances.

Practical development
In responding to this brief what practical skills, workshop facilities and production methods will you use? What activities will this involve? At what point in the brief will you use them? What will they help you achieve?



Practical skills I will use will be screen printing. Workshops are held which I can attend to remind of screen printing skills. I will use this at the start of the brief to get my initial design. This will then lead onto making the packaging.
Recording, Documenting and evaluation
What methods will you use to record, document and evaluate your progress practical and contextual investigations in response to this brief? How will you get feedback? How and when will you evaluate your progress and what will you evaluate your progress against?

I will use my blog to record all development work and evaluate it as I go. I will try and get as much feedback as I go from friends and other designers in the studio, in my own time and in crits.

Bibliography articles and sources
City language, Berlin by Christoph Mangler
Stencil graffiti by Tristan Manco
Stencil art, Hamburg by Jan P. Schildwachter/ Britt Eggers.

No comments:

Post a Comment